Episode #362: Own the AI Revolution with Neil Sahota
Neil Sahota is an IBM Master Inventor, United Nations A.I. subject matter expert, professor at UC Irvine, and globally-recognized speaker and author. Neil is a founding member of the UN’s Artificial Intelligence for Social Good Committee, and he’s here to talk about the ways we can harness the power of AI and use it for social good. Neil is also the author of Own the A.I. Revolution, providing a future-forward look at A.I., focusing on how businesses can use it to commercialize while doing good in the world.
This was a wide-reaching and fascinating conversation in which we went down numerous rabbit holes, such as what true AI looks like, how AI can adopt our biases and prejudices, the impact on the future of work, AI developing consciousness, whether fears about AI’s capacity to destroy us are legitimate, augmented humanity and our cyborg future, developing countries leapfrogging the west, why philosophy and the arts matter when it comes to designing technology for humans, how organizations can start to take advantage of AI today, and so much more.
With that, strap yourself in for my conversation with the one and only, Neil Sahota.
- What is AI? How do we define it?
- How far away is General AI, really?
- IBM Watson isn’t actually AI
- How AI makes decisions
- Encoding AI with human biases
- Decision-making challenges: how do you control for luck?
- 47% of U.S. jobs risk being automated by 2050 -- how will this affect me?
- Will we create more jobs than we destroy?
- What will humans do?
- The critical importance of philosophy and the arts
- The paperclip problem and perverse instantiation
- Will AI develop consciousness?
- At what point do augmented humans stop being humans and start being cyborgs?
- What aspects of the value chain can companies augment with AI today?
- How should they go about that?
Get the book: https://amzn.to/2L0cQx9
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
Steve's book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/