Episode #124: Tyler Cowen on the Complacent Class.
Tyler Cowen is an American economist, academic, and writer. He is Chair of economics, as a professor at George Mason University, and is co-author, of the popular economics blog Marginal Revolution. Cowen has also ventured into online education by starting Marginal Revolution University.
He currently writes a regular column for Bloomberg View and has written for such publications as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Time, Wired, Newsweek, and the Wilson In February 2011, Cowen received a nomination as one of the most influential economists in the last decade in a survey by The Economist. He was ranked #72 among the "Top 100 Global Thinkers" in 2011 by Foreign Policy Magazine "for finding markets in everything."
Tyler has published a number of books, including An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for everyday foodies, Discover your inner economist, The Great Stagnation , the best selling Average is Over and the newly released The Complacent Class: the self defeating quest for the American Dream.
His latest book has received critical praise from best selling thought leaders such as Malcolm Gladwell who says "Tyler Cowen's blog, Marginal Revolution, is the first thing I read every morning. And his brilliant new book, The Complacent Class, has been on my nightstand after I devoured it in one sitting. I am at round-the-clock Cowen saturation right now."
- Is technology making us lazier?
- Issues with class segregation in society
- Our echo chambers
- The education system
- Immigrants; the non-complacent class
- Trump making "America great again"
- Why regulation will slow adoption of emerging tech
- Are we in a productivity paradox?
- No more grand projects
- Algorithms and outsourcing - not just human evolution?
- What Government needs to do to drive adoption
- The declining performance of R&D investments
- Elon Musk - financial dilettante or tech visionary?
- Gen Y - world changers or lazy?
- Universal Basic Income (UBI)
- Evolution of AI and its impact on employment
1) The Complacent Class: The Self-Defeating Quest for the American Dream: https://amzn.to/2Ni8HXO
2) Average Is Over: https://amzn.to/2MBDgT9
3) Marginal Revolution: http://marginalrevolution.com/
4) Tyler's Website: http://tylercowen.com/
5) How complacent are you quiz: http://tylercowen.com/complacent-class-quiz/
7) Twitter: @tylercowen
Join the conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/where you can discuss episodes, request guests, propose questions for forthcoming guests and access exclusive content and special offers!
Listen on iTunes @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Spotify @ spoti.fi/2G2QsxV
Listen on Stitcher @ www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
Listen on Google Play @ bit.ly/FSGoog
If you've got any questions on this podcast feel free to send an email to email@example.com or tweet me on Twitter @steveglaveski or @future_squared
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
To sign up to our mailing list head to www.futuresquared.xyz
For more information on Collective Campus, our innovation hub, school and consultancy based in Australia and Singapore check out www.collectivecampus.io
GET COACHED BY LUCAS: