Episode #243: Sherry Walling on the Art of Zen
Dr. Sherry Walling is the life force behind ZenFounder. She is a licensed clinical psychologist with extensive experience treating stress-related problems in high achieving people. She is an academic and professional powerhouse with master’s degrees in psychology and theology, formal training as a yoga teacher, and a PhD in clinical psychology.
She has extensive experience treating PTSD in combat veterans, working with families trapped in family violence, and supporting the mental health needs of physicians and police officers. She’s also one of the early professionals to creatively combine yoga and psychotherapy.
Already an accomplished professional, Sherry began working with entrepreneurs when her husband, Rob Walling, launched his first start-up more than 10 years ago. Being a life partner in an entrepreneurial family, she has lived the frenetic pace of a tech startup. Pairing her professional training and personal experience, she’s helped countless founders and their families work through burnout, conflict, transition stress, and crisis.
Sherry is the author of the newly released book The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Keeping Your Shit Together: How to Run your Business Without Letting it Run You. Seth Godin says this book is "a personal, generous and incredibly useful guide to staying sane and changing the world at the same time, an demands that you should read it before you think you need it". Sherry also hosts the Zen Founder podcast which is now 164 episodes young.
We explored so many topics in this conversation.
Expect to learn more about:
- the stresses of entrepreneurship and whether the crush it mentality really serves us
- what the optimum amount of hours to work is
- how much sleep you should be getting
- how to manage relationships with a significant other while building your business
- tools and techniques you can use to bring you more clarity and control; and
- the power of self awareness and understanding your strengths and a hell of a lot more.
So with that, let’s get stuck into today’s conversation with Sherry Walling.
- Sherry’s book
- What stress related problems look like for entrepreneurs
- Are 16 hour days really the path to success?
- Coping strategies
- How entrepreneurs self sabotage
- How to deal with the loneliness of entrepreneurship
- How to manage overwhelm
- Why becoming more self aware is the key to clarity, control and results
- Separating work from the rest of your life
- Tools and techniques to help you navigate emotional overwhelm and anxiety
- How to build and sustain a relationship if your partner isn’t an entrepreneur
- Do certain types of personalities lend themselves to entrepreneurship more than others?
- Why you should identify your strengths
- Web: Zenfounder.com
- Podcast: Zen Founder, on Apple Podcasts and all places good podcasts are found
- Get the book "The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Keeping Your Sh*t Together": https://amzn.to/2BMWTaJ
- Twitter: @zenfounder
- StrengthsFinder Test: /www.gallupstrengthscenter.com
If you’d like to receive a weekly email from me, complete with reflections, books I’ve been reading, words of wisdom and access to blogs, ebooks and more that I’m publishing on a regular basis, just head over to www.futuresquared.xyz/subscribe and you’ll get the very next one.
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
For more information on Collective Campus, our innovation hub, school and consultancy based in Australia and Singapore check out www.collectivecampus.io