Episode #81: Unleashing Teacher Led Innovation with Education Changemaker Summer Howarth
Summer Howarth is first and foremost a teacher with an unwavering belief in the potential of young adolescents and those who work in support of them. Summer has drive for and proven success in unleashing and spreading teacher led innovations and has been an instrumental leader in Australia’s contribution to the OECD work on Student Engagement and Australia’s TeachMeet movement. She’s deeply and unashamedly passionate and makes it her business to connect with anyone who pursues an interest in improving the life and learning outcomes of young people. Summer has worked in every corner of the education scene, from school to university and government, and holds a Paul Harris Fellowship for her services to Education.
In her role as National Director of Learning for Education Changemakers, Summer works with teachers, students and community leaders to solve our toughest education challenges, turning good schools into great ones. While the focus of her work is across Australia, Summer has also taught in the USA and worked with students, teachers and principals across the world. Former executive member of Adolescent Success, Summer is a sought-after advisor & facilitator but quite simply loves kids, teachers and the teaching profession, and works to make sure everyone else does too.
- Education Changemakers: Origins, Objectives and Initiatives
- Bottom up innovation in schools
- The impact of parents on the classroom
- The impact of School and leadership KPIs on innovation
- Teaching kids entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship as a form of youth validation and empowerment
- Finding and empowering great teachers
- Unleashing teacher led and student led innovation
- Open-sourcing classroom ideas and experiments
- The power of sharing and collaborating
- The education system and key stakeholders
- Social entrepreneurship
1) Education Changemakers: educationchangemakers.com/
2 - Lemonade Stand: www.lemonadestand.rocks/
3 - Follow Summer on Twitter: twitter.com/EduSum
4 - EduChange Conference: http://www.educhange.com.au/
I hope you enjoyed this episode. If you’d like to receive a weekly email from me, complete with reflections, books I’ve been reading, words of wisdom and access to blogs, ebooks and more that I’m publishing on a regular basis, just leave your details at www.futuresquared.xyz/subscribe and you’ll receive the very next one.
Listen on Apple Podcasts @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com