Episode #292: Scott Anthony on Transforming Your Company
Scott Anthony is the Managing Partner at Innosight.
In his time with Innosight, Scott has advised senior leaders in companies such as Procter & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, SingTel, Kraft, General Electric, LG, the Ayala Group, and Cisco Systems on topics of growth and innovation. He has extensive experience in emerging markets, particularly in India, China, and the Philippines.
Scott’s new book is called Dual Transformation: How to Reposition Today's Business While Creating the Future and his previous efforts include'Seeing What's Next, 'The Innovator's Guide to Growth, 'The Silver Lining, 'The Little Black Book of Innovation and 'Building a Growth Factory.' He has authored or co-authored numerous articles on innovation and strategy, and regularly contributes to the Harvard Business Review online blog.
Scott is a featured speaker on topics of innovation and growth. He has delivered keynote addresses on five continents and has appeared on Good Morning America, Channel News Asia, CNBC, and FOX Business.
Prior to joining Innosight, Scott was a senior researcher with Clayton Christensen, managing a group that worked to further Christensen's research on innovation.
I went on a bit of an expedition in my conversation with Scott, looking to bust many of the widely held myths that are often inhibiting and sabotaging the innovation efforts of large organisations across the world.
We explored myriad topics, including:
- Why conflating ideas with innovation is wrong
- How to overcome the inertia that plagues most large organisations
- What to do if your organisation just doesn’t want to play ball
And Scott also recounts a delightful story, featuring none other than his seven-year-old son, which teaches us a valuable lesson on how our environment can shape our behaviour.
With that, it gives me much pleasure to bring you one of the most pre-eminent names in the innovation landscape today, Scott Anthony.
- Scott’s origin story
- What Scott thinks the best place in the world to create change is
- Whether corporate startup accelerators are worth it
- The downside of it never being easier to start a business
- How to overcome corporate inertia
- Innovation theatre and the tendency to look for quick fixes
- What dual transformation is
- The metered funding approach to innovation
- Getting the right people on the bus
- The Four C’s
- The dangers of token innovation initiatives
- Selling the vision
- Why getting the foundational environment right is key
- A handful of Scott’s own case studies
- Innosight: Innosight.com
- Scott’s books: https://www.amazon.com/Scott-D.-Anthony/e/B001JP81F6
- Twitter: @scottdanthony
- Scott’s HBR articles: https://hbr.org/search?term=Scott+D.+Anthony
Employee to Entrepreneur podcast on Apple Podcasts: bit.ly/employeetoentrepreneurpodcast
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
NEW Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/