Episode #159: Step Outside Your Comfort Zone with Andy Molinsky
Andy Molinsky is a Professor of International Management and Organizational Behavior at Brandeis University's International Business School, with a joint appointment in the Department of Psychology. Andy’s second book, Reach: A New Strategy to Help You Step Outside Your Comfort Zone, Rise to the Challenge and Build Confidence, came out earlier this year, and it makes a case for successful people not necessarily wanting to do the things most of us fear but having found their own way to do them. Andy received his Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior and M.A. in Psychology from Harvard University. He also holds a Master's Degree in International Affairs from Columbia University and a B.A. in International Affairs from Brown University.
Andy's current work focuses on the challenges people face when adapting behavior in foreign cultural settings. His research has also explored the dynamics of psychologically demanding tasks, including necessary evils and organizational change. He has published widely in many top academic journals, and his work has also been featured in media outlets such as the Harvard Business Review, Forbes, the Economist, Fast Company, the Financial Times, the Boston Globe, the Chronicle of Higher Education, and on NPR.
- Why the comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing grows there
- Andy’s new book, Reach
- Why fear can often be our guide
- The 5 key challenges that underpin our avoidance tendencies
- The perils of self censoring
- How to identify and bridge the gap in our behavioural styles that ultimately keep us back
- Why being honest with yourself is so important
- The 3 questions people should ask to get themselves out of their comfort zone
- How to deliver bad news
- Why you should do the things you find the hardest first
- Andy’s personal journey outside his own comfot zone
- Andy Molinsky - www.andymolinsky.com
- On Twitter - twitter.com/andymolinsky
- Get Reach on Amazon - https://amzn.to/2QzxVPo
- Andy's HBR article: You're more resilient thank you give yourself credit for - https://hbr.org/2017/01/youre-more-resilient-than-you-give-yourself-credit-for
- Andy's TEDx talk: Step outside of your comfort zone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuxU7473BFw
Join the conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/where you can discuss episodes, request guests, propose questions for forthcoming guests and access exclusive content and special offers!
Listen on iTunes @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Spotify @ spoti.fi/2G2QsxV
Listen on Stitcher @ www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
Listen on Google Play @ bit.ly/FSGoog
If you've got any questions on this podcast feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me on Twitter @steveglaveski or @future_squared
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
To sign up to our mailing list head to www.futuresquared.xyz
For more information on Collective Campus, our innovation hub, school and consultancy based in Australia and Singapore check out www.collectivecampus.io