Episode #163: Everybody Lies with Seth Stephens-Davidowitz
Seth Stephens-Davidowitz is a New York Times op-ed contributor, a visiting lecturer at The Wharton School, and a former Google data scientist.
He received a BA in philosophy from Stanford, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa, and a PhD in economics from Harvard.
His research—which uses new, big data sources to uncover hidden behaviors and attitudes—has appeared in the Journal of Public Economics and other prestigious publications and has just surfaced in his new book, Everybody Lies - New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are, which explores what the vast amounts of information now instantly available to us reveals about ourselves and our world.
Expect to learn a number of things in this episode of Future Squared, including:
- What kinds of things we usually tell Google that we wouldn’t tell our loved ones
- The connection between the school you go and your level of success in life
- How AI and machine learning can behave in a way that may be construed as racist
- Correlation and causation
- How companies can use data to build better products
- Why customer surveys don’t work
- What most startups get wrong about AB testing
- How much data is enough when testing assumptions underpinning a new product idea
- How your Google search history can be used to identify health risk factors and diagnose users
- Are we collecting too much data to the point where it’s difficult to extract anything meaningful?
- Are ‘online echo chambers’ are actually a thing?
- How data can be used to mitigate decisions that stem from our personal biases and entrenched belief systems
- Why the real us often shows up at 2am on PornHub
Join the conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/where you can discuss episodes, request guests, propose questions for forthcoming guests and access exclusive content and special offers!
Listen on iTunes @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Spotify @ spoti.fi/2G2QsxV
Listen on Stitcher @ www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
Listen on Google Play @ bit.ly/FSGoog
If you've got any questions on this podcast feel free to send an email to email@example.com or tweet me on Twitter @steveglaveski or @future_squared
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
To sign up to our mailing list head to www.futuresquared.xyz
For more information on Collective Campus, our innovation hub, school and consultancy based in Australia and Singapore check out www.collectivecampus.io
GET COACHED BY LUCAS: