Episode #205: Tim O’Reilly on What’s The Future (WTF?)
Tim O’Reilly popularised the terms Open Source and Web 2.0
He is the founder and CEO of O’Reilly Media which delivers online learning, publishes books, runs conferences, urges companies to create more value than they capture, and tries to change the world by spreading and amplifying the knowledge of innovators.
Tim has a history of convening conversations that reshape the computer industry. In 1998, he organized the meeting where the term “open source software” was agreed on, and helped the business world understand its importance.
In 2004, with the Web 2.0 Summit, he defined how “Web 2.0” represented not only the resurgence of the web after the dot com bust, but a new model for the computer industry, based on big data, collective intelligence, and the internet as a platform.
In 2009, with his “Gov 2.0 Summit,” he framed a conversation about the modernization of government technology that has shaped policy and spawned initiatives at the Federal, State, and local level, and around the world.
He has now turned his attention to implications of AI, the on-demand economy, and other technologies that are transforming the nature of work and the future shape of the business world. This is the subject of his new book WTF: What’s the Future and Why It’s Up to Us.
In addition to his role at O’Reilly Media, Tim is a partner at early stage venture firm O’Reilly AlphaTech Ventures (OATV) and on the boards of Maker Media, Code for America, PeerJ, Civis Analytics, and PopVox.
Expect to learn a hell of a lot in today’s conversation and prepare to listen to it multiple times to capture as much value from it as you can.
Three key things you will learn:
- Tim’s views on net neutrality
- What companies absolutely need to be doing to best prepare for the new economy; and
- What Tim’s views are on whether the fourth industrial revolution will leave most of us unemployed or not
Expect to learn that, and more, in this conversation, with the one and only Tim O’Reilly.
- The Book: What’s the Future and Why It’s Up To Us
- Whether companies like Amazon and Facebook are capturing more value than they’re creating and are they becoming dangerously monopolistic
- Why traditional maps of the world such as financial statements and short-term shareholder value need to be revisited
- What Tim thinks about the FCC winding back net neutrality
- What businesses need to think about to map out their business model for the next economy
- Will technology take our jobs?
- AI and its impact on humanity
- Government 2.0
- O’Reilly Media: www.oreilly.com
- Twitter: @timoreilly
- Tim: http://tim.oreilly.com
- The book: www.wtfeconomy.com
Listen on iTunes @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Stitcher @ www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
Listen on Google Play @ bit.ly/FSGoog
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
To sign up to our mailing list head to www.futuresquared.xyz