Episode #220: Expanding the Limits of Human Endurance with Alex Hutchinson
Alex Hutchinson is National Magazine Award-winning journalist who writes about the science of endurance for Runner’s World and Outside, and frequently contributes to other publications such as the New York Times and the New Yorker. A former long-distance runner for the Canadian national team, he holds a master’s in journalism from Columbia and a Ph.D. in physics from Cambridge, and he did his post-doctoral research with the National Security Agency.
He’s just released his third book, Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance, which has been praised by the likes of Malcolm Gladwell, simply as “amazing”.
As somebody who has always experimented with different ways to optimise my own physical and mental condition, I really enjoyed this conversation with Alex and trust that you will learn a lot from it, including:
- The false dichotomy of body and mind
- What our limit breakers are
- How to expand those limits
- Which is better high fat diets or carbo loading
- And also, a number of memorable stories of human triumph over self imposed walls.
- Alex’s definition of endurance
- Mind over matter: is it that simple?
- What our tangible limit breakers are
- The story of Tom Boyle lifting a car of an injured bicycle rider
- The power of purpose
- Ketogenic diets v carbo loading
- Tricking your brain to perform
- Tools and tactics to expand your limits such as mindfulness, self-talk, journaling, brain stimulation, VR and more
- The importance of getting the basics right: sleep, exercise, nutrition
- Which neural characteristics separate elite endurance athletes from the rest of us
- The power of belief effects versus placebo effects
- Nike’s ‘Breaking 2’ campaign
- The most surprising findings from the book
- Alex’s website: https://alexhutchinson.net/
- Articles: runnersworld.com/sweat-science and on www.outsideonline.com
- Twitter: @sweatscience
Get Alex's books:
- Endure: Mind, Body and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance: https://amzn.to/2PFBUJR
- Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: https://amzn.to/2oavJRB
- Big Ideas: https://amzn.to/2wo6crT
Join the conversation on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/ where you can discuss episodes, request guests, propose questions for forthcoming guests and access exclusive content and special offers!
Listen on iTunes @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Stitcher @ www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
Listen on Google Play @ bit.ly/FSGoog
If you've got any questions on this podcast feel free to send an email to email@example.com or tweet me on Twitter @steveglaveski or @future_squared
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
To sign up to our mailing list head to www.futuresquared.xyz
For more information on Collective Campus, our innovation hub, school and consultancy based in Australia and Singapore check out www.collectivecampus.io