Episode #50: The Age of Discovery with Chris Kutarna
I speak to Chris Kutarna, a two-time Governor General's Medallist, a Sauvé Fellow and Commonwealth Scholar, and a Fellow of the Oxford Martin School with a doctorate in politics from the University of Oxford.
A former consultant with the Boston Consulting Group, then entrepreneur, Chris lived in China for several years, speaks Mandarin, and remains a regular op-ed contributor to one of China's top-ranked news magazines. (He lived in Australia and New Zealand for several years, and still cannot surf.)
He is the co-author of The Age of Discovery - Navigating the Risks and Rewards of Our Reneissance, which shows how we can draw courage and wisdom from the last Renaissance in order to fashion our own golden age out of this New Renaissance.
Whether we’re seized by Gutenberg or Zuckerberg; the discovery of the Americas or the rise of China; copperplate or silicon etching; —a Renaissance moment, we’re told, then and now, forces humanity to give its best just when the stakes are highest.
Age of Discovery navigates the crises of our time and helps us all define a legacy that the world will still celebrate half a millennium from now.
- Will artificial intelligence liberate us or destroy us?
- What is the role of Government in a rapidly changing technological and economic landscape?
- What happens when the world’s concentration of wealth becomes centralized in one place such as Silicon Valley?
- What the implications of an increasingly connected world are?
- What Brexit and the rise of Donald Trump really mean?
- What we, as a people, need to do to ensure our longevity as a species?
- Does policy need to be re-written to adapt to these changing times?
- Are we facing a productivity paradox whereby the next generation will need to suffer and adjust to changes in order for subsequent generations to reap the rewards?
Chris' Twitter - @chriskutarna
Chris' LinkedIn - uk.linkedin.com/in/moniker
Ian Goldin's Twitter - @ian_goldin
Get the book - https://amzn.to/2zmWdWg
I hope you enjoyed this episode. If you’d like to receive a weekly email from me, complete with reflections, books I’ve been reading, words of wisdom and access to blogs, ebooks and more that I’m publishing on a regular basis, just leave your details at www.futuresquared.xyz/subscribe and you’ll receive the very next one.
Listen on Apple Podcasts @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com