Episode #336: Humor at Work with Andrew Tarvin
Andrew Tarvin is obsessed with efficiency. In fact, that's why he goes by Drew Tarvin, it's more efficient. As the world's first humor engineer, he teaches people how to get better results while having more fun. Combining his background as a project manager at Procter & Gamble with his experience as a stand-up comedian, he reverse-engineers the skill of humor in a way that is practical, actionable, and gets results in the workplace.
Through his company, Humor That Works, Dew has worked with more than 35,000 people at over 250 organizations, including Microsoft, the FBI, and the International Association of Canine Professionals.
He is the bestselling author of three books, including Humor That Works: The Missing Skill for Success and Happiness at Work. He has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and FastCompany and his TEDx talk has been viewed more than four million times.
Having recently ventured down the standup comedy open mic circuit in Melbourne, this was a timely conversation, and one I really enjoyed.
Andrew dropped a lot of value bombs in this conversation, including:
- How to make work more fun
- The power of constraints in humor and innovation
- How to reframe your relationship with failure
With that, enjoy my conversation with the one and only, Andrew Tarvin.
- Andrew’s start in comedy
- Why humanity needs humor
- Why everybody can be funny
- Why people find standup scary
- Practice and repetition
- Why funny is everywhere
- Improve tenets: Yes and… and Don’t Block
- Humor strategies
- How humor helps organisations perform better
- How humor can make us more successful
- How humor can help us sell better and get deals across the line
- How to promote fun in the office
- Andrew’s ‘one smile per hour’ philosophy
- Why failure is just data
- Introversion and how it can make you a better comic and innovat
- Why standup is a great tool to help you build a relationship with adversity
- The Reticular Activating System (RAS)
Andrew’s business: www.HumorThatWorks.com
Andrew’s personal site: www.AndrewTarvin.com
Get the Book: https://amzn.to/2XY3sh4
TEDx talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZAMSyn_As
Employee to Entrepreneur book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/