Episode #353: Trillion Dollar Coach with Google’s Jonathan Rosenberg and Alan Eagle
Jonathan Rosenberg is the former Senior Vice President of Products at Google and current advisor to Alphabet Inc. CEO Larry Page.
Alan Eagle is the Director of Executive Communications at Google.
The pair co-wrote How Google Works, and the newly released Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley's Bill Campbell, alongside longtime Google CEO and Chairman, Eric Schmidt.
Trillion Dollar Coach unpacks management lessons from legendary coach and business executive, Bill Campbell, whose mentoring of some of our most successful modern entrepreneurs has helped create well over a trillion dollars in market value.
Bill Campbell played an instrumental role in the growth of several prominent companies, such as Google, Apple, and Intuit, fostering deep relationships with Silicon Valley visionaries, including Steve Jobs, Larry Page, and Eric Schmidt. In addition, this business genius mentored dozens of other important leaders on both coasts, from entrepreneurs to venture capitalists to educators to football players, leaving behind a legacy of growing companies, successful people, respect, friendship, and love after his death in 2016.
We unpacked many of Campbell’s teachings in this episode, including:
1 - Why it’s not your title, but your people who make you a leader
2 - How to build trust into the fabric of your organization so that it avoids the debilitating politics that plagues many organizations today
3 - The value of taking a people and team first approach
4 - Why it’s not what potential hires did in the past that matters, but how they did it
5 - First principles thinking
6 - Why the process can sometimes matter more than the outcome
7 - How to get the best out of people who might be underperforming
...and so much more.
With that, strap yourself in for a fascinating conversation on what it takes to build a culture that gives organizations the best chance of thriving in the 21st Century, with my guests, Jonathan Rosenberg and Alan Eagle.
- Who Bill Campbell was
- Trip reports
- Team first
- Why every sports team needs a coach
- NBA basketball and the Warriors
- What exactly is a coach?
- What does it take to be coachable?
- Why your people make you a leader, not your title
- How to deal with aberrant geniuses
- Why tension in the machine can be a good thing
- The rule of two - a decision and relationship building mechanism
- The smart creative
- Asking ‘how’, not ‘what’, when hiring
- How to create an environment that empowers great people to succeed
- Sir Alex Ferguson
- Firing geniuses
- First principles thinking
- Process v outcome
- Radical transparency and the elephant in the room
- Mitigating the toxicity of politics
- Commitment over consensus
- Vulnerability and trust
- What to look for in new hires
- Caring for your team
- Building relationships first
- Slideshare: https://www.slideshare.net/ericschmidt/trillion-dollar-coach-book-bill-campbell
- The book website: www.TrillionDollarCoach.com
- Jon on Twitter: @jjrosenberg
- Alan on Twitter: @aeaglejr
- Get the book:https://amzn.to/30rMxVl
Employee to Entrepreneur book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/