Episode #230: VR, Media and Metal with Jon Satterley
Jon Satterley is an experienced entertainment & media industry executive and thought leader. I have been recognized as an innovator with expert knowledge of new products, emerging technology and digital business strategy.
When he was just 17, Jon started a record label and wound up signing hundreds of bands while studying to get his law degree.
Jon led digital strategy for Roadrunner Records: growing from a small independent record company to become one of the world’s leading labels.
Today, Jon is the Chief Digital Officer at Village Roadshow, and we’ve been working together on the Xperience Accelerator, a program that brings together startups working with VR/AR and Village to develop new applications for the entertainment industry.
We explored lots of questions during this conversation, often going off on tangents, and three things you can expect to learn:
- Why Jon decided to pursue his record label instead of a career in law and what helped him shun societal expectations in favour of taking the path less traveled
- How to be a successful intrapreneur in a large organisation; and
- What the future of VR and AR looks like.
Of course, as a big heavy metal fan myself, we also spent some time talking about Jon’s time at Roadrunner Records.
- eSports: what it is and where it’s going
- Jon’s background
- How to be an intrapreneur at a large company
- How to get buy in from senior executives
- The question of morality and emerging technology
- What the future of VR/AR is
- Other trends entertainment companies should look out for
- Jon Satterley: https://au.linkedin.com/in/satterley
- Xperience VR/AR Accelerator: www.xperienceaccelerator.cc
- The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York: https://amzn.to/2P7GgIB
Join the conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/where you can discuss episodes, request guests, propose questions for forthcoming guests and access exclusive content and special offers!
Listen on iTunes @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Spotify @ spoti.fi/2G2QsxV
Listen on Stitcher @ www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
Listen on Google Play @ bit.ly/FSGoog
If you've got any questions on this podcast feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me on Twitter @steveglaveski or @future_squared
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
To sign up to our mailing list head to www.futuresquared.xyz
For more information on Collective Campus, our innovation hub, school and consultancy based in Australia and Singapore check out www.collectivecampus.io