Episode #108: Flow Genome Project's Jamie Wheal on Why Creativity is a State of Mind
Listen on iTunes: goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Stitcher: www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
Jamie Wheal is Executive Director of Flow Genome Project which he heads up alongside Steven Kotler, who you might know from books such as The Rise of Superman and Abundance, co-written with Peter Diamandis.
Jamie is a leading expert on the neuro-physiology of human performance. His work ranges from Fortune 500 companies like Cisco, Google, and Nike, to the U.S. Naval War College and Red Bull. He combines a background in expeditionary leadership, wilderness medicine and surf rescue, with over a decade advising high-growth companies on strategy, execution and leadership. He speaks to diverse and high-performing communities such as Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), Summit Series, and MaiTai Global on the intersection of science and high performance.
At the Flow Genome Project, he leads a team of the world’s top scientists, athletes and artists dedicated to mapping the genome of the peak-performance state known as Flow.
Jamie and Steven have co-penned their new book Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work, out next month. The book explores four years investigating the leading edges of this revolution—from the home of SEAL Team Six to the Googleplex, the Burning Man festival, Richard Branson’s Necker Island, Red Bull’s training center, Nike’s innovation team, and the United Nations’ Headquarters. And what they learned was stunning: In their own ways, with differing languages, techniques, and applications, every one of these groups has been quietly seeking the same thing: the boost in information and inspiration that altered states provide.
Listeners will know I’m a big believer in the power of flow and a huge fan of co-author Steven Kotler’s earlier work, The Rise of Superman - and if you haven’t listened to it already, check out episode #15 on how flow can help you increase productivity by 500%.
This episode was jam packed with value bombs. Learn how to find your optimal creative state using everything from exercise and meditation to micro-dosing on LSD and hallucinogens!
- What is flow
- The neuroscience of flow, meditative, psychedelic and peak sexual states
- What inhibits you from getting into your optimal creative state
- Why brainstorming and all-nighters don't really work
- Anandamide: the creativity molecule, why you need it to be creative and how to increase your production of it
- Why the human mind only consciously processes 0.002% of its surroundings and how to tap into the other 99.998%
- Micro-dosing on psychedelics and hallucinogens
- How to create the optimal creative environment for your team
- Is biohacking worth it?
- Spiritual materialism
- Getting back into the flow state after being interrupted
- Priming practices to optimise your morning and day
1) Flow Genome Project: flowgenomeproject.com
2) Flow Genome Project Facebook Page: facebook.com/Flowgenome
3) Stealing Fire website: stealingfirebook.com
4) Stealing Fire on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2NSSg3S
I hope you enjoyed this episode. If you’d like to receive a weekly email from me, complete with reflections, books I’ve been reading, words of wisdom and access to blogs, ebooks and more that I’m publishing on a regular basis, just leave your details at www.futuresquared.xyz/subscribe and you’ll receive the very next one.
Listen on Apple Podcasts @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com