Episode #266: Mental Toughness with Jason Selk
Dr. Jason Selk is a best-selling author, psychologist and two-time World Series winning sports psychologist with the St Louis Cardinals. In fact, while serving as Director of Mental Training for the Cardinals, Selk helped the team win their first World Series in over 20 years, and in 2011 he assisted the Cardinals in the historic feat of winning their second World Championship in a six-year period.
Selk is a regular contributor to Forbes, INC, Success, Shape, and Self Magazine; ABC, CBS, ESPN, and NBC radio and television; and has been featured in USA Today, CNBC, and Men’s Health. Dr. Selk’s second book, Executive Toughness, is a best-selling business book and his first book, 10-Minute Toughness, is on pace to be one of the best-selling sport psychology books of all time. Selk’s latest book Organize Your Team Today has been ranked by Bloomberg as a Top 10 leadership book for 2018.
We discussed a number of very important topics on this show, including:
1: How to develop your confidence, even after long periods of purported failure
2: How to maintain your focus in an age of distraction
3: How to create and maintain a positive, empowering and mentally tough outlook in just two minutes a day
These topics were just the tip of the iceberg. I really enjoyed speaking with Jason as he is a psychologist whose views are grounded in hard science and he drew from his time with the St Louis Cardinals as well as his work in applying sports psychology to business which provided for lots of valuable take-aways.
And as he suggests, if you can take just one thing from this conversation, remember it and apply it, then that’s better than trying to take ten things away and forgetting all of them, as we often tend to do in this age of content overload.
With that, I bring you the one and only, Dr Jason Selk.
- Problem centric thought
- Relentless solution focus
- The power of breathe
- Visualisation and personal mantras
- Dealing with the unexpected and overcoming adversity
- Working with the St Louis Cardinals
- Channel capacity and cognitive load
- Learn more by learning less
- Focus on doing the right things
- Mental workouts
- Managing expectations
- Attracting and engaging top talent
- Tech addiction and how to overcome it
- How to develop your confidence
- Get Jason’s books:
- 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins - https://amzn.to/2BL0O7Z
- Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance - https://amzn.to/2MAD9MR
- Organize Your Team Today: The Mental Toughness Needed to Lead Highly Successful Teams - https://amzn.to/2LoSmuM
- Twitter: @jason_selk
- Web: www.Jasonselk.com
- Company: www.EnhancedPerformanceInc.com
I hope you enjoyed this episode. If you’d like to receive a weekly email from me, complete with reflections, books I’ve been reading, words of wisdom and access to blogs, ebooks and more that I’m publishing on a regular basis, just leave your details at www.futuresquared.xyz/subscribe and you’ll receive the very next one.
If you've got any questions on this podcast feel free to send an email to email@example.com or tweet me on Twitter @steveglaveski
Follow me on Instagram: @thesteveglaveski
Listen on Apple Podcasts @ goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher and Soundcloud
GET COACHED BY LUCAS: